This is the second installment of the groundbreaking series, Lessons in Beauty. This step-by step series walks you through skincare solutions, makeup tips and how to make smart product purchases.
Here you are 27 and your face is breaking out! Acne usually begins with blackheads. Contrary to popular opinion, blackheads are not dirt. They are the result of oil and dead cells that get trapped in a pore that blocks the duct and mixes with bacteria. The secretion turns black through exposure to the air. Women with overactive oil glands and large pores are most prone to blackheads and pimples. Red pimples,also known as papules, develop when blackheads become inflamed and they spread when touched with dirty fingers. If the pimple becomes inflamed, a whitehead can develop. This is the type of blemish that can burst and may eventually scar.
Causes of Adult Acne
Bad Cosmetic Choices
Birth Control Pills & Other Medication
Treatments for Acne
1. Visit a good facialist that can treat acne non-medically
2. Visit a Certified Dermatologist
3. Wash at least twice a day with an oil-free beta-hydroxy or gel cleanser. If your breakout is more severe, beta-hydroxy cleanser will add extra cleansing.
4. Exfoliate four or five nights a week with a beta-hydroxy lotion or cream or a gentle scrub.
5. Use an oil-free moisturizer
1. Pick or extract blackheads or whiteheads yourself. By doing so, you can spread the contents deep into the oil glands that surround the tissue and cause a cystic infection. If you have to, wash your hands and face and use two q-tips or tissues and gently squeeze the contents out our your skin. (Do not use your bare fingers) Follow-up with an antiseptic dab or tea tree oil – and don’t touch or you will introduce bacteria and create an infection – in other words a pimple.
1. Wet-Natural Shine for Lips, Carol’s Daughter, $6, Sephora 2. Dear John, Benefit Cosmetics, $30, Sephora 3. Keri Nourishing Shea Butter Moisture Therapy, $8.18, Drugstore.com 4. Daily Moisture, Ambi Even & Clear Skincare, $11.99, Drugstore.com 5. Travel Trio, Evian, $16.50, Sephora 6. Acne Complex Kit, Murad, $60, Sephora