There are several vitamins that promote both healthy hair and scalp. Among such vitamins are Omega-3/6 fatty acids as well as antioxidant Vitamins A, C and E. Also important are B-complex vitamins as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, selenium and zinc. The following is a breakdown of how these vitamins aid in the health of hair and scalp.
- Omega-3/6 fatty acids help support healthy skin and strong immune function. They contain linolenic acid which stimulates hair growth.
- Vitamin A is an antioxidant and emollient (moisturizer). It helps produce healthy sebum (natural oil our scalps produce).
- Vitamin B3 promotes scalp circulation.
- Vitamin B6 prevents hair loss and help creates melanin which gives hair it’s color.
- Vitamin B12 prevents hair loss.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant and emollient. I t helps maintain hair and skin and promotes hair health.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant and emollient the enhances scalp circulation.
- A deficiency in the minerals magnesium, zinc, or calcium affects the nourishment of hair and may eventually cause the hair to fall out. An imbalance of calcium and magnesium (caused by eating too much sugar) also causes hair loss.
- Selenium helps your body properly utilize proteins and hormones that aid in hair growth.
- Zinc promotes cell reproduction, strengthens the hair shaft and maintains the oil-secreting glands that are attached to hair follicles. Too much zinc or any of these minerals however, can actually cause hair loss – so before taking any type of vitamin or nutritional supplements consult your physician.
– Laquita Thomas – Banks