Drake said it best “time heals all, and heels hurt to walk in”. Contrary to the Sex and the City notion of “the higher the heel, the better,” heels are not inherently comfortable.
Ask any woman hobbling home after a night of standing in her stilettos. With celebrities like Beyonce, Rihanna and Keri Hilson rocking vertiginous 6-inch Louboutins, one has to wonder who can really walk in these shoes?
Stilettos, albeit sexy and showstopping, may be causing more damage than they are worth.
Here are 5 reasons to hang up your heels:
1. High heels push the body forward, forcing the hips and spine out of alignment.
2. Calf muscles may contract and shorten with regular wear.
3. Regular wear contracts the Achilles tendon, leading to heel pain.
4. Wearers are at a greater risk of falling, which could lead to a sprained or broken ankle.
5. Narrow toe space in shoes can thicken the nerve between the third and fourth toes, leading to pain and numbness.
While these issues do not come from one night of wearing your Giuseppe’s out on the town, regular wear can damage nerves, tendons and potentially put your body out of its natural alignment. Sure everyone is coveting the new red bottoms Beyonce wore court-side, but when your footwear becomes a pain, literally, it may be time to reconsider what you’re willing to sacrifice for style.
Will you be hanging up your heels for your health?