This is the weirdest thing I’ve heard in a while. While getting my daily Jezebel fix, I clicked on a story about an elderly Irish man who died of spontaneous human combustion. Yep, he was hot to death.
According to the Guardian, 76-year-old Michael Faherty was found burned to death in his home. Although there was a fire burning in Faherty’s fireplace, nothing else besides the elderly man’s body was burned. Police and crime scene investigators were stumped. No accelerant was found and foul play didn’t seem to be a factor in Faherty’s death. So, the only logical conclusion according to officials was that the man spontaneously combusted.
After reading about Faherty’s unfortunate end, I googled “spontaneous human combustion” and found that over the past 300 years, there have been over 200 cases of supposed spontaneous human combustion. So…although it’s extremely rare, perhaps it’s not impossible.