While she was coming home after hanging with a friend, 35-year-old Takesha Griffin says she felt a “slap” on her leg and a burning sensation as she exited his car. She noticed her tights were bunched up, and when she straightened them out, a bullet popped out and blood poured from her wound. Griffin’s friend immediately drove her to the hospital, and when ER doctors saw she had been shot, they called the police.

That’s when things went from bad to worse, according to Griffin.

In an interview with the New York Daily News Griffin says after she went to the hospital, she was handcuffed and held for five days without being charged with a crime. During her confinement, Griffin says police didn’t believe her account of how she got injured.

The NY Daily News reports:

“They wanted me to lie,” said Griffin, whose lawyer filed a notice of claim on Tuesday. “It was like ‘The Twilight Zone.’ ”

During her lengthy confinement, Griffin said she urinated on herself when no one was available to escort her to the bathroom. She was also denied a sanitary napkin.

The single mother of a 9-year-old boy said she was given a McDonald’s hamburger each day and ridiculed when she complained about the food. One cop sarcastically pointed out that she could order salmon or lasagna from a menu posted on the squad room wall.

“Who treats people this way?” Griffin wondered. “It’s inhumane.”

On her second day in the Brownsville stationhouse, cops continued to give her grief, she said.

“A police officer saw me still sitting there and said, ‘Did your story change yet? I guess you like it here,’ ” she said.

Although Griffin insisted she had been shot by a stay bullet, she claims police wanted her to say that her friend shot her during a “lover’s quarrel.”

The NY Daily News continues:

“They were trying to get me to say it was my friend who shot me,” recalled Griffin, who is seeking $5 million from the city.

“He never had a gun,” she said. “I told them he was gay; we had gone to a gay club the night before.”

The friend offered to take a lie detector test and submit to a gunshot residue test on his hands, she said. He was released that morning; she was held.

So far, police have declined to comment on Griffin’s allegations. She is suing the city for $5 million.

Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter