#trending

ecig25n-4-web

A Utah mother will now think twice about smoking e-cigarettes. Kinzie Barlow said an exploding e-cigarette set her son’s car seat on fire, leaving first- and second-degree burns on the 3-year-old’s body.

“Seeing your child on fire and hearing them scream ‘Help me!’ is pretty terrifying,” Kinzie Barlow said.

Oh, I’m sure it is.

“Then there was a big bang, and kind of a flash, and there’s smoke everywhere,” Barlow said.

Barlow said her e-cigarette had exploded in its charger, shooting out a white-hot copper coil that bounced off the ceiling and landed in her son’s car seat. She says the coil had burned through the fabric cover and melted the hard plastic, sending flames shooting up the little boy’s body.

“He was screaming and saying, ‘Mom, get me! Get me!”

Barlow said she tried smothering the fire with her shirt sleeve, which also caught fire. So she grabbed an iced coffee from the front seat and poured it on Khonor, dousing the flames.

“I was shaking by the time it was all over and done with,” Barlow said.

Although Kinzie’s son, Khonor, did suffer from minor burns, he seemed to be in good spirits.

ecig25n-5-web

Provo Fire Marshal Lynn Schofield said he has no doubt Barlow’s White Rhino e-cigarette exploded, saying it’s the second such incident in Provo.

He planned to call the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Monday.

As for Barlow, she told CNN she will never buy another e-cigarette again.

Tags:
Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter
  • K

    im glad the little boy is ok and please do not take this in a litigious way because i am not saying that. I am wondering though why a car seat was so flammable. It seems with all the fire resistant material that lessens damage why isnt a product made for children have at least a little protection. again not saying this woman should sue or anything else im just seriously side eye the fact that a hot copper coil fell on a car seat and the seat immediately (by all accounts) burst into flame.