Right now the world is waiting, not so patiently, for the Jordan Davis verdict. The jury has been deliberating for two days now. Interestingly enough, past Florida jurors only took hours in George Zimmerman’s verdict, and minutes in Marissa Alexander’s verdict. As Michael Dunn waits to hear his fate, this law suit once again proves it’s open season on black people, whether you’re a man or woman.
Jordan Davis was only playing his music when he was shot and killed by Michael Dunn. Apparently, playing music while black is deadly. Trayvon Martin was walking home with skittles and an ice tea. Walking home with candy and a drink is deadly. Renisha McBride was looking for help and knocked on someone’s door.
Being black and staying alive seems to be one of the hardest things to do recently.
Lauren Williams at Mother Jones compiled a list of 21 things you can’t do while black. And they’re all ripped from recent headlines:
1. Listen to loud music at a gas station.
2. Walk home from a snack run to 7-11.
3. Wear a hoodie.
5. Drive in a car with a white girl.
7. Walk on the wrong side of the street.
8. Wait for a school bus to take you to your high school basketball game.
9. Drink iced tea in a parking lot.