It’s been nearly two months since over 200 girls were kidnapped from their school in the Chibok village of Nigeria. Last week Nigerian officials stated that 276 girls had been found but not rescued. Now the Nigerian police force has banned protests related to the girls in the Nigerian capital.
Commissioner Joseph Mbu said the proliferation of such protests “is now posing a serious security threat” to those living around, and driving through, demonstration sites in the capital city of Abuja.
“I cannot fold my hands and watch this lawlessness,” he said in a statement Monday.
“Information reaching us is that too soon dangerous elements will join the groups under the guise of protest and detonate explosive(s) aimed at embarrassing the government. Accordingly protests on the Chibok Girls is hereby banned with immediate effect,” the commissioner continued.
It seems interesting that it’s the common people in Nigeria who are more eager to #BringBackOurGirls than some of the public officials.