We all wish we could walk into Saks and buy the latest Tod’s Calfskin tote (oh, how this bag speaks to me). But as young professionals, we simply can’t afford it. When it comes to recession-friendly retail-therapy, Clutch has you covered!
The Best in Beauty + Fashion + Home Essentials That We Absolutely Covet…
MAKEUP + NAILS
1. M.A.C’s “44 Lash” www.bloomingdales.com – $13
Apart of M.A.C’s “Love Lace” collection, the “44 Lash” is a rare combination of individual lashes that offers a “winged” outer look. A must-have for a glam’d out Valentine’s Day!
2. Smashbox’s “Brow Tech” www.sephora.com – $24
When it comes to the perfect brow, I assure you there is nothing better than Smashbox’s “Brow Tech.” This hair color matching and pomade wax duo allows you to enhance the brow creating the ultimate natural definition.
3. Ginger + Liz’s “He’s So Into Me” www.gingerandliz.com– $12
Clutch spotlighted Ginger + Liz, one of the hottest nail brands to launch last year. Spring 2010 will call for softer nail colors in nude and pastel finishes! Try Ginger + Liz’s “He’s So Into Me.” This charming lilac hue will compliment any early spring ensemble!
4. Nars Blush in “Torrid” www.sephora.com– $25
Now that “Crave,” favorite to the brown girls has been retired. Enter Nars blush, “Torrid.” Certain to give you the “I just came from the islands” highlight. Suitable for all skin tones.
5. Eco Tools Mineral Brush Set www.target.com – $9.99
Your makeup brush collection can be a working investment. Eco Tools are unbelievably inexpensive with single brushes costing at a reasonable four bucks. Grab a set of Eco Tool brushes for flawless makeup application and save the environment while you’re at it!
6. Karma Organic “Organic Nail Polish Remover” www.karmaorganicspa.com – $12
This non-toxic nail polish remover is a break-through organic product. Safe to use on sensitive-skin and persons with allergies. Stored in 100% recycled glass bottles.
7. Moroccan Oil “Restorative Hair Mask” 250ml/8.5 oz amazon.com – $24.25
The Hair Stylist’s secret weapon! This brilliance in a bottle both restores and repairs hair. In the dry season, we must give our tresses added attention. After washing hair, let this mask sit for 15-20 minutes.
8. Forever 21 “Vintage Veil Headband” www.forever21.com – $4.80
Go 50’s posh with this retro headband by Forever 21. A fierce add to any cocktail dress.
9. CURLS “Curl Soufflé” www.sistasplace.com – $15
A must-have for the curly girlies, this hair cream is a fabulous finish after washing hair. The CURL “Curl Soufflé” is hybrid of organic ingredients, some of which includes jojoba oil and organic aloe leaf juice.
10. Aquolina “Pink Sugar Hair Perfume” www.sephora.com – $15
High-end fragrance brands from Narciso Rodriguez’s “For Her” to Tom Ford’s “Black Orchid” are creating hair perfumes. This lively blend of vanilla and caramel can be super fun to couple with your current fragrances. After a visit at your hair salon, lightly spray a mist of this!
BATH + BODY
11. Karen’s Body Beautiful Bar Soaps www.karensbodybeautiful.com – $6
This Brooklyn-based beauty haven boasts some of the best cost-friendly beauty products. The owner, Karen Tappin-Saunderson creates the products inside a kitchen in her body & bath boutique. I am a devotee of her scrubs and massage oils. Try these colorful and luxurious bar soaps made with purified water, coconut safflower, olive and essential oils.
12. Honeycat “Warm Milk Martini” www.honeycatcomestics.com – $20
You mean I can take my martini from the bar to the bath? Honeycat is developed and created by owner Theresa Spriull, a beauty brand that evokes the ancient relationship between women and cats, meow! The “Warm Milk Martini” is a glass bottle filled with coconut milk, honey and yogurt milk powders with a mix of vitamins and proteins. Drop a few deserving shots of this in your escapist weekly bath. SO LUXE!
13. Sabon “Body Butter in Lavender” www.sabon.com – $11.75
Can I testify? Walking into a Sabon store is like a royal experience! Sabon’s body butter in lavender is instantly body enriching. This fragrant butter contains shea and cocoa butter with bees wax. Purchased by the slice, it can be used on your hands, knees, ankles, elbows and even your lips! Can you say multi-task?
14. Origins “Ginger Essence Intensified Fragrance Rollerball” www.bonton.com – $13.50
An Origins oldie but goodie, this on-the-go fragrance rollerball is quite the sensory experience. Ideal for those weekender trips with you know who, “Ginger Essence” is a calming pairing of ginger and citrus lemon fitting for your just-out of the bath moments.
15. Haitian Child Tote Bag www.cafepress.com/haitirelief – $15.99
Cafe Press is showing their support of the Haiti relief effort with its community of designers. All proceeds from this Haitian flag tote bag goes to UNICEF.
16. ASOS’s “Super Wide Coloured Elastic Waist Belt www.asos.com – $6. 80
You outta catch this steal while it’s hot! A wide belt is a wardrobe mainstay and is suitable for all sizes. This tangerine belt will set you up nicely for spring! Pair with dresses, cardigans and tunics.
17. Topshop “Polka Dot Shoulder Pads” www.topshop.com – $10
The Fall 09′ resurgence of padded shoulders will progress into our Spring 2010 looks. Give your silk blouses and wrap dresses a bit of 80’s funk with these shoulders pad singles.
18. Gap “Striped Scarf in True Black” www.gap.com – $12.99
Juxtapose this abstract black/white silk scarf with a colorful look. Wear with a solid primary-color cardi or button-up blouse for a chic-prep look.
19. Patricia Field “Sequin Net Wrist Glove” www.patriciafield.com – $24
Famed stylist Patricia Field’s online shop is a treasure of unique steals. Edge-out any look with these fishnet sequin gloves.
20. Casa Di Culture “Festa (Party) Button Earring www.casadiculture.com – $6
Casa Di Culture, an eco-friendly brand specializes in distinctive looks with a cultural aesthetic. Go classic with this patterned button earring.
21. Don’t Bring Home A White Boy (And Other Notions that Keep Black Women From Dating Out) by Karyn Langhorne Folan www.barnesandnoble.com – $24.99
The first non-fiction book by Karyn Langhorne Folan is sure to stir up some controversy. Don’t Bring Home A White Boy discusses Black women’s fear of dating “out” to family reactions and the scarring “sellout” label. The book is set to release in February on Simon and Schuster’s Karen Hunter imprint. Pre-order your copy at Barnes and Noble now.
22. Anthropologie “Lace-Strewn Knob” www.anthropologie.com – $10 each
Restore that old desk of yours with these old world- inspired knobs. Simply remove the old knobs and replace with these gorgeous new additions!
23. Illume “Sandalwood Kinoki Room Therapy Copper Tin” Candles www.illumecandles.com – $17
Keep your space scented and sacred with these copper tin candles. Made with natural soy, beeswax and essential oils. An aromatic addition to your bathroom or bedroom night stand.
24. Kate Spade “Thanks a Million” Fold-Over Notes www.crane.com – $25
Sending more thank you cards should be in the Top 10 of our New Year’s Resolution lists. With each box including 10 notes and 10 envelopes, these classic Kate Spade thank you cards are a lovely spend!
25. O Dream Board: Envision Your Best Life www.oprah.com – FREE
Last year, Oprah covered the Vision Board phenomenon on her show. As a follow-up, Oprah teamed up with Walgreens and Getty Images creating a digital vision board. This free desktop application available on Oprah.com allows you become clear about your goals by creating a collage of affirmations and images using your computer. I use it almost daily and its done wonders for me. Try it!