As Hurricane Irene prepares to barrel down on the East Coast, many of us are putting our dancing shoes back in the closet in preperation for a weeekend in the house. I’m personally devistated about the cancellation of AfroPunk and the now shortened Spike Lee hosted celebration of Michael Jackson’s birthday in Brooklyn. Still, there’s loads of stuff we can do around the house as we wait (and pray) for the storm to pass.
– Organize and Revive Your Space: After a hectic week, my room sorta looks like the hurricane already happened. I plan to scrub my entire crib down during this brief hiatus from the streets and I’m not the only one who needs to do so!
– Complete That Project: You know, the one you’ve been meaning to take on? Do it NOW. The IKEA bookshelf that’s been waiting for you to build it, the scrapbook that’s just dying to be completed, the half-painted jewelry box…get to it NOW!
– Make a Real Meal: Even those of us who love to cook oftentimes find it impossible to find to make full out meals in between busy schedules. Find a new recipie online and make an entire three course dinner…you’ve got time, girl.
– Host a Sleepover: Call the boo over for a movie/cuddle marathon or have a few girls come by to watch an entire season of your fave show while sipping sangria. If phone service is lost, you may feel better spending this time with people you care about.
– EVACUATE IF THEY TOLD YOU TO: All cuteness aside, if your home is located in an evacuation zone, you need to get the f*ck out. There are still 125k people unaccounted for from Hurricane Katrina and many victims refused to leave when warned about the potential danger of the storm. Please don’t feel too prideful to go to an evacuation center. Your life may depend upon it.