#trending

Detergent pods are the new rave in laundry products. They’re small, convenient and colorful. Detergent pods are now also the new rave amongst toddlers. No, toddlers have not learned how to do laundry. They’ve discovered that laundry pods are colorful and pretty, therefore should be eaten.

According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAAPC), there have now been 2,950 cases of children aged 5 and under swallowing laundry pods. That’s nearly 13 cases a day that are being reported nationwide. “Because they are colorful and squishy, they are attractive to children,” warns the American Association of Poison Control Centers. “They can look like candy or something fun to play with.” U.S. poison hotlines have received 2,950 calls concerning exposures to children with 734 calls in August alone, thankfully no deaths have been reported

Not to be Ms. Obvious, but why aren’t parents keeping toxic substances out of the reach of children? Swallowing these detergent pods can cause excessive vomiting, wheezing and gasping, more often leading to hospitalization. Because laundry pods look like candy and have a squishy texture, I can see how children would think they’re edible. Most toddlers think anything that can fit in their mouths are edible.

Although most reports surfacing have referenced children. I would also hope that pet owners are keeping the pods away from pets as well. Once again, I don’t know why these products aren’t stored properly. It’s not that hard to place something up high so kids can’t reach them. In the event that a child has popped a pod in their mouth, AAAPC urges the parents to call Poison Control.

Tags:
Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter