Anthony Stokes received a new heart Tuesday evening. Just over 2 weeks ago, his family complained how he was unfairly rejected because of past issues with taking his medication, missing doctor’s appointments and bad behavior at school.
“I know he will comply with all the rules,” a crying Hamilton told ABC News last week, before she learned that doctors had reversed their decision and would put Anthony on the transplant list. “He will take his medicine because he knows that is how he has to live.”
“He was just fighting,” Hamilton said. “Trying to take up, just trying to take up for his brother because somebody was bullying his brother.”
According to his family, he had less than six months to live without a transplant. Once the story hit the internet and news, the hospital reversed their decision added him to its waiting list.
Stokes received a heart transplant Tuesday, a family spokesman told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He was in the intensive care unit of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Wednesday, the hospital said.
Citing patient privacy, the hospital would not release further details of the case but said it has performed 10 heart transplants so far this year, three in the past week.
Stokes should consider himself lucky, some people are on donor waiting lists for months and years at a time.