A Philadelphia police officer is breaking the blue wall of silence and has filed a lawsuit against his police department. Brandon Ruff, a sergeant with the Philadelphia police department’s 16th precinct,  filed a lawsuit stating that he was assaulted by 7 officers in Philadelphia’s 35th District when he entered the precinct to anonymously turn in three handguns, reports Philly.com.

According to Ruff, an 8-year veteran with the department, he suffered  “two sprained wrists and two sprained shoulders” and says that the acts were “committed willfully, wantonly, maliciously, intentionally, outrageously, deliberately and/or by conduct so egregious as to shock the conscience.”

From Philly.com:

In his suit, Ruff said a friend asked him to turn in three firearms the friend had bought from neighbors “in a proactive attempt to stop violence.”

Ruff, who was off duty, checked to make sure the guns were unloaded and then drove to the 35th District station at Broad Street and Champlost Avenue. When he arrived at the precinct, he told an officer he wanted to turn in some firearms. The officer asked who owned the guns. Ruff – who refused to identify the owner — said he was turning them in under a “no-questions-asked” policy and asked to speak to a supervisor, the suit states.

But according to a police spokesman, a “no-questions-asked” policy does not exist outside of periodic gun-amnesty programs.

“Can you drop them off like a baby? Typically, no,” said Lt. John Stanford, a department spokesman. “That’s only done when we do buybacks.”

After a supervisor failed to appear, another officer demanded to see Ruff’s identification. He told her that he didn’t have a state ID on him but had his work ID instead. Ruff asked to make a phone call outside the building. As he walked out, someone shouted, “There he is,” the suit states. Another officer came up behind Ruff and twisted his right hand behind his back. More than five officers ran to the scene. At that point, Ruff used a code number to identify himself as a fellow officer and said that his ID was in his pocket, according to the suit.

Ruff also stated that he was threatened with a taser and held for 6 hours.  Ruff is currently under investigation by Internal Affairs in connection with the incident.

Tags: , ,
Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter