Bill O’Reilly has been ousted from Fox News Channel amid the firestorm over sexual harassment allegations leveled against the host in recent years.
“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” Fox News parent company 21st Century Fox said in a statement Wednesday.
The Murdochs said the decision to part ways with O’Reilly was made after working with outside attorneys. Fox News had been investigating the most recent harassment allegations that surfaced in the past two weeks. The Murdochs said they sought to “underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect.”
In a statement of his own released later Wednesday afternoon, O’Reilly said, “It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims. But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today.”
It is unclear if Fox News is paying O’Reilly. The host is presumably owed tens of millions of dollars under the terms of his multi-year contract, though the contract may have contained clauses allowing Fox News to get out of the deal.
It is also unknown if O’Reilly is subject to a so-called “non-compete” clause limiting his ability to appear on other networks.