Last month, WGN America’s hit series Underground was canceled after just two seasons. The news of the beloved Antebellum drama series cancellation sent shockwaves and disappointment all over social media and blogs from fans.
— John Legend (@johnlegend) May 30, 2017
Devoted fans were hopeful that another network would pick up the show – many were hoping that network would be Oprah’s OWN. While attending a L.A. press event, Oprah Winfrey confirmed that won’t be happening.
“I can’t afford Underground,” Winfrey told a group of eight journalists. “It cost twice as much to make as Queen Sugar. As a matter of fact, my dear friend John Legend called me personally and asked me about it, but we’d already been talking about how we could make it work […] it’s like $5 million an episode, so we can’t afford it. It’s not cheap, I think because it’s a period piece.”
Winfrey added that on top of the high price, though the popular series was often a top tending topic on Twitter, it just didn’t have the ratings to justify the expense, and with OWN still being young and growing network it would’t be a smart move for them.
“We really tried to make it work,” she says. “I wanted to make it work because I think it’s a good show. I wanted to be able to save that show, but it did not make good business sense for me.”
We hope Oprah has a change of mind and understand how important Underground is to our community.